New Entrance at Low Eglin’s Hole, Nidderdale
1 August 2014
After years of being blocked, Black Sheep Diggers, with support from the CNCC and Natural England have, in August 2014, re-opened Low Eglin’s Hole. The project involved installation of a new entrance hatch and surrounding fencing, and establishment of an agreement with the landowner for visiting cavers. The procedure for arranging access is:
- Call Mr Challis at Hazel Close Farm (01423 755602) to request permission and arrange a time to collect the key
- Call at the farm to collect the key
- Park at the grass layby at SE 097736 (first bend after the How Stean Gorge turnoff)
- Walk up the road and climb over the first Conservation Projects metal gate on the left. Bear right across the field towards two fenced-off areas. The closest has a stile and is Low Eglin’s Hole.
- Return the key to the farm.
A report on the work can be found in Descent 240, some photos are on the Northern Boggarts website (northernboggarts.org.uk), and a video is also available on YouTube.
More recent news...
Crackpot Cave Cleanup
Newsletter 9 Out Now
CNCC Mission Statement
Cave modifications in Ease Gill Caverns
Capstan Winch Training
Important update on cave Access at High Birkwith
Northern Explorers' Forum
Caves of Scotland descriptions
CNCC showcase caving to the National Park Authority
CNCC reaches new agreement with the Langcliffe Hall Estate