Skills for SRT cave 'Leaders'
Sorry, this workshop is now full. Keep checking back because sometimes more places will become available or a new date will be added.
9 Dec 2023
firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
NONE (workshop full)
A one-day underground workshop aimed at cavers who would like to learn relevant skills for organising and guiding groups of cavers on simple SRT trips. (On a non-commercial & non-professional basis.) Technical, safety and leadership skills will be covered aiming to improve attendees' confidence to oversee a group SRT trip.
Cavers who would like to be involved in running club trips, trips with friends etc and have some caving and SRT experience.
You need to have SRT skills and be confident in your ability underground.
This is not an introduction to rigging. Skills covered will be adapted to suit attendees however, most leadership skills will be useful even if you are not a competent rigger.
Format: A one-day workshop based underground
Trainer: Helen Hooper
- Useful information to obtain from your caving group
- Weather checks and flooding
- Call out procedures
- Equipment choices
- Packing kit to lead a group:
- spare rope & useful technical kit
- emergency essentials to carry
- Choosing a cave route—surveys and descriptions
- Cave access
Underground Technical skills
- General caving movement
- Overall group management
- Rigging traverses lines and pitch heads for groups
- Managing simple traverse lines and pitch head safety
- Supervision of those new to SRT:
- top tips for introducing SRT skills
- mentoring and oversight
- Simple tips for assisting tired cavers on pitches
- Setting up a simple spare rope haul
Candidate prerequisites: Caving and SRT experience. Some rigging skills preferable, but not essential.
Please Note: On completion of a successful booking you will receive a confirmation email from PayPal. (This email from Paypal is your confirmation that you are booked on the workshop and all relevant details are on the links below)
Unfortunately we cannot offer refunds or transfer of workshops. However, if you are unable to attend you are welcome to pass your place onto someone else.
Meeting instructions: Meet 9.30am at Ingleton Community centre carpark next to the toilets.
To bring: Full caving kit including SRT kit. Food and drink. Transport required.